Nowadays, electric vehicles such as electric cars and electric motorbikes are becoming more popular as they are environmentally friendly and save on fuel costs. However, if the infrastructure for electric charging stations is not completed, the development of electric vehicles in Vietnam will be difficult because people would be unable to buy electric vehicles unless electric charging stations. One of the reasons that people are hesitant to use electric vehicles is that the number of electric vehicle charging stations in Vietnam is quite low and far from their residential places, which is inconvenient for charging and using electric vehicles.
Therefore, to promote the electric vehicle business and attract foreign businesses to invest in the electric vehicle charging station development industry in Vietnam, the State has had several regulations and standards so that enterprises trading electric vehicles can build charging stations at public parking lots, apartment buildings and rest stops.
Through this article, BLawyers Vietnam would like to provide an overview of regulations related to the current installation of electric vehicle charging stations in Vietnam.
1. Basic principles of installing electric vehicle charging stations
The installation of electric vehicle charging stations must adhere to the following basic principles in construction investment activities:
- Ensuring investment in the construction of works according to planning and designs;
- Rationally using resources and natural resources, ensuring proper purposes, proper subjects and process of construction investment;
- Complying with technical standards and regulations; and
- Ensuring the quality, schedule, safety of works, human lives, health and property; fire prevention and fighting; and environmental protection.
2. Conditions of installing charging equipment
The installation of charging equipment must comply with the following specific requirements as follows:
- Only constructing in the parking area under the construction design that has been approved and issued a Construction Permit (the “CP”);
- The installation in the existing constructions must ensure the requirements that do not affect the load-bearing structure’s safety or the fire prevention and fighting requirements; and
- Charging equipment must be evaluated and certified based on the relevant standards by the competent authorities, ensuring that the disconnection requirements are operated in case of the risk of electric shock, fire or explosion to ensure the safety of the construction, human life, health, and property.
3. Requirements for CPs
According to the construction regulations, repair and renovation in the interior construction or repair and renovation of external that are not facing roads in urban areas are subject to architectural management requirements according to regulations of competent authorities. The repair and renovation contents that do not change the use function, do not affect the load-bearing structure’s safety, and comply with the construction planning approved by the competent state authority, requirements on safety against fire prevention, and protection and environmental protection are exempted from the CP.
Therefore, the CP is required for installing electric vehicle charging stations in road infrastructure, traffic land, public construction, gas stations, and roadside rest stops.
4. Regulations on fire prevention and fighting for electric vehicle charging stations
When installing electric vehicle charging stations in certain types of constructions, the following objects of fire prevention and fighting design approval are required:
- For electric vehicle charging stations located in independent garages, garages inside buildings constructions, or on the premises of petrol stations, authorities, organizations, and individuals must conduct approval procedures for the design of fire safety for objects that are garages, constructions, and petrol stations as prescribed in Appendix V of Decree No. 136/2020/ND-CP dated 24 November 2020 of the Government; and
- For electric vehicle charging stations located outdoors (except for those located on the premises of petrol stations), there is no requirement for fire safety design approval.
However, as there have been no specific regulations and standards on electric vehicles, as well as issues with charging station installation instructions, so that approvals are dependent on the views and guidance of each competent authority. Additionally, because the regulations for business registration of electric vehicle charging stations have not been specified, business registration and construction of electric vehicle charging stations cause difficulty for enterprises trading electric vehicles.
Date: 05 December 2022
Writer: Linh Nguyen & Tram Nguyen
Maybe you want to read:
Could the new regulation of Vietnam on the method of formulating power generating tariff ranges for electricity generation of transitional wind and solar power plants open opportunities for solar power and wind power projects?